Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Reading Notes for Week Three

"Introduction to Linux"
I have very cursory experience with using Linux- a lot of my friends are computer people, if you can't tell- and I definitely agree with what the article said- it IS pretty intimidating on first glance. The desktop interface are stylish and the security pros are amazing, but for the average user, Linux systems just seems like it's too much to handle. Basically, I see Linux as an OS you can design to fit your own needs- which is great for the tech-savvy. For a library situation, where patrons can include technophobes and people who just aren't interested, Linux might not be the best OS. However, like any new information technology, it is important to pay attention to, especially the OpenSource software part- that could be quite important in the future!

"What is Mac OS X?"
Sad (?) to say, I think Mac OS X is the modern OS I've had the least experience with (yes, I've played with Linux more than Macs), and I think the reason is something the author states in his summary- the mandatory use of Apple hardware is maddening. Sort of like the complete opposite of Linux (which can operate on basically ANYTHING) OS X seems rather limited. That said, I do recognize the system's merits, however much I may be a Windows user at heart. It is able to allow a bunch of *nix applications for personalization while also running nearly ubiquitous Windows-designed software (Office 08, anyone?). This system is comparable to any Windows unit- people may like it for functionality, interface, or just ease of use. Again, this is a system that I believe people need to understand better; at the library I used to work at, we had six Apples with OS X in my lab, and only one of the desk assistants (myself included!) could do anything more than turn it on. I'm glad I understand the basic concepts of the OS a little better now, though some hand-on tutoring would be helpful...

"An Update on the Windows Roadmap"
Okay, now something I'm a little more familiar with. I've run the beta of Windows 7. It's nice. Yes, Windows does have problems (Linux and OS X aren't flawless, either!), but I think that a lot of these problems come from the fact that it is the widest reaching OS. For example, the article states that Vista supports 77,000 devices- a big number, which admittedly allows room for a lot of error. I do think, however, that Windows is the most user friendly, as it tries to allow for the widest range of applications. However, it is also the most general- far more constraining than Linux or even OS X. That's why the "bottom line" of the article stresses that the designers are working to make the new systems even more compatible with even more drivers and applications. I think this is important to note because it gives a sense of the range of things Windows can do and support; while we can't be expected to know EVERYTHING, librarians should definitely keep up to date with Windows, as it is the most user-friendly and generally most widespread OS available for public use.

2 comments:

  1. I like how your comments focus on what these systems will mean to a librarian, which is something that I did not think of nearly enough. I do think that we need to become more familiar with the other systems, especially Mac. I see a lot of the younger and more "trendy people running OS X, could they be early adopters for a larger movement away from Windows? If so, knowledge in this area would be a boon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In response to the What is Mac OS X post: I hate to say but I too only have limited experience with Mac. I like it's style, appearance, and design but that just doesn't compel me to switch away Windows. I can do basic things on a Mac but owning one myself always seemed like a big step. Hopefully in the future I'll have the time and resources to learn more about these other operating systems.

    ReplyDelete