Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Reading Notes for Week 6

"Local Area Network" on Wikipedia
This article was kind of dense and technical, but I get the overarching definition of what makes up a LAN. Basically, any small network of computers in a relatively small space can be connected by a LAN. There are varying types of ways to establish this connection, but I'm really only familiar with Ethernet and Wi-fi connections, the two common types mentioned. The article doesn't really mention what the most optimal LAN is, or what the different strengths of each technique are, which I think is what's really important for us to know: what to establish in a library setting. It does mention that cabling is the most common technique, so I imagine it would be the easiest system to implement.

"Computer Network" on Wikipedia
I actually found this article quite helpful, especially its definitions and descriptions of the differences between intranet, extranet and the Internet. I also was surprised to see the various different types of networks; I had only really heard of LANs before, but I suppose that's because I didn't really think about things like global area networks. I did appreciate the description of campus area networks and how the use of routers, switches and hubs directs the connection only to specific buildings, which I thought was interesting. I'm still a little vague on how exactly a switch works, so hopefully we'll bring that up in class a little.

"Management of RFID in Libraries" by Karen Coyle
RFID (which I hadn't heard of before) is basically like a radio transmitted barcode, which is essentially the analogy Coyle gives to describe it. It's an intriguing idea for all the reasons she mentions: potential for self-checkout, security, and making inventory not only easier but more successful. However, I think the strength of this article is that it is remarkably honest; there are simple ways to bypass security measures, there are always worries of technology malfunctions, and patrons might not WANT to have to do everything themselves. What is necessary is an understanding that such technoolgies do exist and, like Coyle states, libraries have to go along with the culture that they serve. I think this is definitely an area to look into, but there is always the chance that this might be another fad that libraries could be better off without.

"Common Types of Computer Networks" on Youtube
This was helpful because it was incredibly straightforward and basic. PANs are the most common networks- ie., your desktop, printer, scanner, and any other items connected to a system for personal use- followed by LANs, WANs, CANs, and MANs. I actually didn't know that LANs are able to do the things WANs used to have to do; I didn't realize Ethernet made LANs that much more powerful!

3 comments:

  1. I agree with your comments about RFID. I was also a little skeptical of this new technology. It is difficult for me to identify any overwhelming benefits of using RFID over bar codes. Also, in terms of cost, I'm wondering if it would be a worthwhile investment for libraries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about the Coyle article. It was remarkably straightforward in it's discussion, and I think that is definitely a good thing. I thought the point about patron satisfaction was particularly interesting. Self check-out could be very useful if you just have one or two things, but it can also be very, very annoying, particularly if something goes wrong. I think it's probably best to have self check-out stations and also a circ desk, and let patrons choose which they want.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Katie about the self-checkout. I went to the Carnegie Library today and was able to self-checkout some books, but I'm glad that there are circulation desks if the equipment was to malfunction.

    ReplyDelete